Monday, March 1, 2010

Inspirations

Working towards this latest goal is going to be tough. I'm excited and sure about this, but how many times have I said this before and not carried through to the finish when it comes to my running. I haven't raced since 1999 and I miss it. But I just can't seem to find the motivation and inspiration to keep going past the initial burst of energy and planning. So I'm going to keep this post handy so I can remind myself why I can do this...

Don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.
This inspires me more than I can ever explain and has helpled keep my mind turned towards the positive. It's so easy to get into the negative self talk and before you know it, you can talk yourself out of your best ideas all by yourself. You don't need anyone else to tear yourself down. So every time the going gets tough, I automatically think of this phrase and go into solve it mode or deal with it mode instead of telling myself in detail why something can't be done.

You can eat an elephant one bite at a time.
Sometimes a large goal can seem so daunting, why even start. That's when I remember that a billionaire has to save his money one dollar or day at a time, too. So start today. Take that one step you needed to do that's small and very manageable. And then keep taking those small and manageable steps. Before you know it, you'll be amazed at how far you've come. That's what I've got to do with this ultramarathon. Plan for just the month, focus on the week at hand and adapt to what's going on in reality, and enjoy each day's run. Before I know it, I'll be running 15 miles like I did about four years ago.

People I admire and whose voices and faces are in my head when the going gets tough:
Chip
Kelli
Mom
Grandma Nolan
Grandma Smith
Dad
Dee

More on these wonderful people tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment